Friday, April 30, 2010

Best Cendol @ Bukit Rambai

Once we were done with porky satay, we adjourned to Bukit Rambai for dessert. The weather in Malacca was undoubtedly scorching hot and the best remedy to quench our thirst is cendol. Inevitably, I always and only visit Jonker88 for a bowl of yummy cendol on my every trip to Malacca. Since my emphasis is on good food out of malacca city, we skipped Jonker88 for once.

F_015

The cendol stall highly recommended by Jade was Auntie Koh in Bukit Rambai. It wasn't easy to get into Bukit Rambai but we were fortunate to have Jade to lead us here the night before and on top of that, it was far away from Malacca city. The journey took about 30 minutes due to traffic congestion in the afternoon thus we were quite nervous that we might have missed it since the stall opens only on Saturday from 12-2pm. The traffic was then cleared after passing by 2 schools so we were lucky to grab a bowl! phewwww

F_016

Auntie Koh is a pure nyonya and also crazy lady as claimed by Jade. She's quite nice and talked to us about her cendol stall after knowing we weren't local. She owns the huge house and operates the business all by herself. The green starch noodle is apparently supplied by her nephew, whom supplied to several cendol sellers in Malacca (including Jonker88).

F_013

Great thing is that her stall isn't located within commercialized area and hence her customers were mainly locals. Mostly arrived with a minimum order of 10 packets, and some were nice enough to self-service, by collecting the cendol on their own.

Cendol

Her top-notch palm sugar(gula melaka) was overwhelmingly divine and the fragrance is so intense. It was thick, viscid and dissolved very quickly into melted shaved ice. She poured a minimal amount of gula melaka onto smooth shaved ice but we didn't find it sufficient. The gula melaka was really sweet and yet the amount poured was actually adequate after mixing it with coconut milk. Glad that I didn't opt for extra :P . The green starch noodle was tangy with luscious pandan flavor too!

Lern and I both agreed this is the best cendol we've tried and indeed it is the best. If it wasn't because of our next destination, I would have ordered second bowl! Rest assured, I will visit her cendol stall again.

4 comments:

chuafc2006 said...

hey.. nice food blog u have here..
i really miss this Malacca's cendol.. and my dad know the shop owners..

it brings back all the old memories by just taking one scoop of the cendol into my mouth...

keep up the blogging! ;)

passer-by from sg said...

Hi Ai Mei,

I happen to chance upon your blog while I am searching for recommendations for cendol in melaka. I'm really intrigued by the fact that this place opens only for 2 hours in a week (12-2pm on Saturdays). I hope my eyes are not playing tricks on me. ;)

With reference to the location u've stated, I made a search on google maps and its pretty far off from the city centre. According to google maps, the location is actually an empty plot of land. However, I saw the a road nearby labelled 'Jalan Bukit Rambai 1' & 'Jalan Bukit Rambai 3'.

I'm very tempted to pay this place a visit from the way u described it and it would be nice if u can check out the exact address of this location. And if you can give us the GPS latitude and longitude coordinate of this place, that would be perfect. =)

Look forward to ur reply and many thanks =)


passer by

Ai Mei said...

Chuafc2006,thanks for the compliment! The cendol was really good and I really miss it now.

Passer-by from SG,I wish I could give you the exact address so that it could ease your problem. However, we were actually directed by a Malaccan friend of us to bukit rambai. It wasn't easy to get into bukit rambai as its pretty far off the city. I can only remember it's located somewhere near Bukit Rambai primary school (on your right).
ps: I googled it and found this on someone's blog

"Turn right at Batang Tiga Polis Station Traffic Light to Bukit Rambai. Go strait until you pass Kong Hock Keng Temple/Bukit Kayu Arah Temple on your right."

Yeah,I remember I passed by a temple! The cendol stall is just a few meters away from temple. Hope this helps!

passer-by from sg said...

Hi AiMei!

Thanks for ur prompt reply.

I read ur earlier post on the sun may hiong satay and saw that u went round with the help of papago! and so I reckon u had a GPS with u ( and probably a gps coordinate of the place xP ).

If u happen to visit the stall again with a gps in hand, do update ur blog with the coordinate and Im sure many passer by would love u for it ;)

I'll keep ur guidance in mind while navigating my way there in future.

A Million Thanks =)

 
design by ai mei